Scope and Contents
The drawings document two journeys Alexander Ver Huell made in the company of friends. One led him and Henri van Lelijveld through France (PK-2005-T-1/21). The second journey Ver Huell made together with Dirk van Leeuwen, leading them to Germany, Austria and Switzerland (PK-2005-T-22/86). All these drawings show scenes of their adventures while travelling, often satirizing the people they met. Two anonymous drawings are part of the collection as well (PK-2005-T-87/88) besides a number of prints (PK-2005-P-4/20), some by Ver Huell, some by others.
- Creation: Mid nineteenth century
Conditions Governing Use
Regulations that apply during the use of these materials can be found on the website of Leiden University Library.
Biographical / Historical
Alexander Ver Huell was a Dutch artist, who studied Law at Leiden University and became known for his witty and satirical portrayal of student life and illustrations to Dutch romantic literature.
88 drawings and 17 prints
Language of Materials
Abstract in Dutch
Verzameling tekeningen en grafiek van de Leidse kunstenaar en LSV Minerva lid Alexander Ver Huell (1822-1897).
Abstract in English
Collection of drawings and prints by the Leiden artist and LSV Minerva alumnus Alexander Ver Huell (1822-1897).
Leiden University Library, Special Collections
Other Finding Aids
Click here for a detailed list of all the drawings and prints.
Bequest of Dirk van Leeuwen, friend and travel companion of Ver Huell, to LSV Minerva.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
On loan from Leidse Studenten Vereniging [Leiden Student Association] Minerva since 2004.
The drawings testify to Ver Huell’s talent as a satirist and as an avid observer of student life.
No future additions are to be expected.
- Biografisch portaal van Nederland (Alexander Willem Maurits Carel Ver Huell)
- With, C. de, F. Haverkamp & O. Mertens, Vriendschap voor het leven. Reisimpressies en herinneringen aan de Leidse Sociëteit Minerva van Alexander Ver Huell. Catalogus bij een tentoonstelling in de Universiteitsbibliotheek Leiden, 8 januari – 29 februari 2004. Leiden 2004.
The drawings and prints can be requested through the online catalogue and can be consulted in the Special Collections Reading Room.
- Collection guide of the Alexander Ver Huell collection (Mid nineteenth century)
- Collectie Alexander Ver Huell
- Jef Schaeps, 2018
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Beschrijving is in het Engels.
- 10 December 2018: latest update