Scans of the archive of the Nederlandse Commissie voor Geodesie (papers of F. Kaiser and H.G. van de Sande Bakhuyzen)
Scope and Contents
These documents are related to the geodetic work of Frederik Kaiser (1808-1872) and H.G. van de Sande Bakhuyzen (1838-1923). Kaiser’s papers consist of correspondence and notes concerning the Europäische Gradmessung and concerning the triangulation of the Dutch East Indies by S.H. de Lange. Bakhuyzen’s papers mainly concern the measurement of the longitude difference between Leiden and various European observatories, as well as the International Geodetic and Geophysical Union.
- Creation: c. 1844-1922
- Creation: Bulk 1860-1900
- Netherlands Geodetic Commission (Organization)
Conditions Governing Use
See Existence and Location of Copies.
Biographical / Historical
Both Frederik Kaiser and H.G. van de Sande Bakhuyzen were active members of the Netherlands Geodetic Commission. These papers concern their geodetic work.
46 items (c. 0.5 metre)
Language of Materials
Abstract in Dutch
Stukken betreffende het geodetische werk van Frederik Kaiser (1808-1872) en H.G. van de Sande Bakhuyzen (1838-1923).
Abstract in English
Papers regarding the geodetic work of Frederik Kaiser (1808-1872) and H.G. van de Sande Bakhuyzen (1838-1923). Kaiser was professor of astronomy at Leiden University and director of Leiden Observatory (1837-1872) as was Van de Sande Bakhuyzen (1873-1908).
The inventory follows the order and the file numbers of the inventory of the archives of the Netherlands Geodetic Commission.
Delft University of Technology; archive Nederlandse Commissie voor Geodesie
Most of these papers were created by the Netherlands Geodetic Commission in the course of its work. Other documents were obtained by N. Haasbroek in the 1960s or 1970s in the course of his research into the history of geodesy. That concerns especially the papers concerning the triangulation of the Dutch East Indies by S.H. de Lange.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The scans were made by agreement with the Netherlands Geodetic Commission.
No future additions are to be expected.
Existence and Location of Originals
The originals of these papers are kept in the archive of the Nederlandse Commissie voor Geodesie (NCG; Netherlands Geodetic Commission), in Delft. By agreement between the NCG and the University Library, scans of these papers were added to the digital collections of the library.
Existence and Location of Copies
Scans of an archive deposited at the Delft University of Technology. The images are available in the inventory.
- N.D. Haasbroek, Prof. F. Kaiser en S. H. de Lange in hun relatie tot de astronomische plaatsbepalingen van omstreeks 1850 in het voormalige Ned. Indië (Delft 1977).
- N. van der Schraaf (ed.), The Centenary of the Netherlands Geodetic Commission (Delft 1979).
- Various articles in De Hollandsche Cirkel, the Dutch journal for the history of Geodesy.
The arrangement of the files and pieces remained as delivered.
- Kaiser, F. (Frederik), 1808-1872 (Person)
- Sande Bakhuyzen, H.G. van de (Hendricus Gerardus), 1838-1923 (Person)
- Sterrewacht Leiden (Organization)
- Nederlandse Commissie voor Geodesie (Organization)
- Collection guide of the scans of the archive of the Nederlandse Commissie voor Geodesie (papers of F. Kaiser and H.G. van de Sande Bakhuyzen) (c. 1844-1922)
- Scans van het archief van de Nederlandse Commissie voor Geodesie (papieren van F. Kaiser en H.G. van de Sande Bakhuyzen)
- David Baneke, 2010
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Beschrijving is in het Engels.
- 28 August 2015: latest update